This Page

has been moved to new address

A Hair History...

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Beauty Bite: A Hair History...

Sunday 16 January 2011

A Hair History...

Skincare, I love. Cosmetics, I adore. But when it comes to hair I've never really know what works best for me. I chop and change every day regarding what colour I want; wondering if I should remain blonde, return to brunette, or venture into the world of red...

I'm at a complete loss. I'm unhappy with the way my barnet looks and don't quite feel like I've found my style yet. When I was a teenager my hair idol was Debbie Harry - I became obsessed with the messy, unbrushed, bed head look and repeatedly brightened my hair with half head highlights. I'm naturally a mousy blonde and loved adding a bit of oomph to my colouring. I stuck with this look for years - it was easy to manage, fun to dress up and, ultimately, young.


When I met my boyfriend everything changed. Dumbstruck in love I did a Jessica Simpson and decided to dye my sunshine locks brown in order to match my new beau. Big mistake. The home colour kit reacted badly with my salon treated hair and transformed my mane into a purple mess. I'd just started working at the BBC and had to leave the colour to settle in for over a week before my hairdresser could see me. Let's just say over those 7 days the question "what happened to your beautiful golden hair?!" was asked at least 3 times an hour.


After much discussing with my hairdresser we decided the best option was to dye my now nearly lilac toned hair dark brown. I was anxious as to whether of not the colour would wash me out and nervously starred back at my ever changing reflection. To my relief it worked amazingly well; the purple nightmare was washed away leaving glossy brunette locks. In a matter of seconds I instantly felt like a woman.


Whilst the brown hair looked amazing to begin with, the roots soon started to kick in - and that's when the problems began. Blonde roots on brunette tresses mainly come across grey - not a good look in any way shape or form. Having to step up my yearly dye count in order to tackle the problem, my barnet soon turned into a dried out, split end infested, protein weakened mess. It's a times like these I really wish I'd never started colouring it in the first place.


Reluctantly I went to the salon and had it all chopped off. Initially I hated it. In the space of 10 months I'd gone from a glossy beach blonde to a bobbed brunette; every time I looked in the mirror it felt as though someone new was starring back at me. My friends were openly split about my short do - some copied it, others claimed it made me look like a boy. I soon grew to love it; yet the growing out stages weren't the most chic period of my hair's life...

I'm now back to blonde; in fact, it's pretty much similar to how it was during my teenage years. I don't like it. At work when I catch my reflection it always looks dried out, flat on top, bushy on bottom and generally not well kept. I'm not sure where to go mainly because I don't know what suits me best. Has anyone else been in a complete and utter hair rut? How did you find your way out?!

Labels:

20 Comments:

At Sunday, January 16, 2011 , Blogger ihavemostlybeen said...

I have to say I looked at these photos and thought "you are a blond" irrespective of your god given hair colour but then maitaining a nice blond means your hair takes such a battering. I think you have a very pretty face and actually having an edgy, choppy cut suits you really well - I thought Milla Jovovich when I saw that last photo. Cant offer anything sensible in terms of advice, other than find a fab hairdresser who will actually listen to what you are trying to achieve. Good luck! x

 
At Sunday, January 16, 2011 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't do hair at all so I do sympathise. I have been all sorts of lengths and colours and whilst it is great to experiment, a bad hair day really sucks. You have such beautiful skin tone and amazing eye colour that I wouldn't be suprised if you couldn't carry off most hair colours. It is always a toss up between condition and colour. At the moment I am sporting waist length brown hair, with some artfully placed grey hairs - I am hoping to emulate Kirsten Mcenamy but sadly do not have her bone structure to carry it off. Good luck. Jan x

 
At Sunday, January 16, 2011 , Blogger Andrea said...

I absolutely LOVE the brown bob on you!! You look stunning like that. Go back to it! or maybe a reddy-brown, you'd really suit that x

 
At Sunday, January 16, 2011 , Blogger Monika @ RocailleWrites said...

I liked both your Debbie Harry hairstyle and the short brown bob... I think you look really nice with a fringe! x

 
At Sunday, January 16, 2011 , Blogger lucie.lovely.cupcake said...

I love the last photo best, you look like a Russian model on it!
x

 
At Sunday, January 16, 2011 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look stunning in all of these pictures; you're so lucky to have such a versatile colouring/face shape! Blonde looks great on you so maybe its best to try a bunch of different conditions rather than to change it altogether? I don't know... hair care stumps me completely. I have a huge moon face and I have yet to find a nice haircut.

 
At Sunday, January 16, 2011 , Blogger Klara said...

I think the red colour would suit you really well - although you look great as a brunette and a blonde as well.
I haven't had my hair coloured for about 4 years and I love I don't have to do much with it - I have it cut every few months (if I remember!) and it is really healthy. However, lately I have been thinking of colouring my hair again, will see if I'll do it.

x Klara

 
At Sunday, January 16, 2011 , Blogger LiisK said...

Ive tried brunette, redhead and blonde highlights. Am keeping my original ash blonde now - no colorings whatsoever. I rarely see someone with similar hair tone :), makes me feel quite special :D

 
At Sunday, January 16, 2011 , Blogger My Lips But Better said...

I have an idea - just hear me out - AUBURN! I was looking at your pictures and thinking how much you remind me of Emma Stone, who is also naturally a blonde. Your coloring and even your features are very similar to hers!

Look up photos of her in the movie Easy A (which, by the way, is hilarious)... it's long and layered with a side fringe, usually in loose curls I believe. I think it would be PERFECT on you!

 
At Monday, January 17, 2011 , Blogger anja said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Monday, January 17, 2011 , Blogger anja said...

The thing is your complexion- you have that "hard to find in nature" fawless milky cream.
And that's why you will look good in blonde(in blonde hair you remind me Kate Bosworth)and in dark hair too.
Pretty one looks pretty in everything.

 
At Monday, January 17, 2011 , Blogger Ola said...

You look beautiful in all pictures - I agree with Anja it's because of your skin tone!
It's hard to judge what your hair looks like now as I don't think you've ever posted pictures that would show it in its all glory!
If you do feel unhappy with it though, it's probably worth thinking of a change.

I was not really in a 'hair rut' but was craving a little bit of a change just before Christmas. I have natural brunette hair and for a few year had it long to just below my shoulder blades/halfway down my back. I liked it and to be fair, I only wanted to have it tidied up a bit... Then something silly (or SOMEONE silly, khem khem, mister boyfriend!!) planted an idea in my head... why not try a long bob? Just-below-shoulders one?

So that's what I did.
I HATE IT. I look like I'm 16 and I can't be bothered with my appearance. If I try to pull it up - loads of pesky bits of hair fall out at the back. If I leave it down, it frizzes up (NEVER happened when my hair was longer) and twist in all the wrong places. And worst of all, it just lies flat on my head and I can't do anything about it.

Needless to say I'm growing it out. Thank god it shouldn't take long as it's long-ish anyway... so growing-out-stages should not bring too much trauma!

So, the point of this slightly bleak story - think what YOU want to have on your head; make sure you are sure of your decision; and have fun with it regardless!

 
At Wednesday, January 19, 2011 , Anonymous lemon5 said...

Hi! On the 4. photograph have you got some lipgloss or it is your natural colour of lips? I like your blog very much, unfortunately in Poland the majority of cosmetics which you are demonstrating is unavailable: (

 
At Wednesday, January 19, 2011 , Blogger The Beauty Bite said...

Thank you all so much for your kind and helpful words! I'm going to buy a protein mask and try and get the overall condition a bit better before I decide for sure what colour to go for. Hair is such a mystery to me - thank you so much all for your tips and guidance! xx

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 , Blogger Unknown said...

I think you are gorgeous as a blonde yet I have to admit that your dark brown bob looks amazing on you. I do understand how it feels when your reflection looks 'wrong'. I'm currently sporting almost black hair and it's disturbing every time I look in the mirror!
Jane x

 
At Wednesday, January 26, 2011 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you look amazing with a fringe, it makes your eyes pop! You should really keep that :)
Concerning the colour, I really think you should try...AUBURN! Someone mentionned it above and I totally agree. It's the first thing I thought when I saw these pictures of you. I love auburn, it's such a beautiful colour... :)
It would look amazing with your freckels, blue eyes and pale skin! Honestly, that would look beautiful :)
And concerning the length...A bob looks great but long hair is very nice too!
xxx

 
At Tuesday, February 22, 2011 , Blogger nidamerchant said...

I love your lipcolor and cheekcolor in the very last picture. Can you tell me what products and thier shade name have you used.
thanks :)

 
At Tuesday, March 08, 2011 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you look fabulous in each hair color. Personally, I prefer you with darker hair.

My coloring is a lot like yours (fair, rosy cheeks, bright blue eyes...no freckles though - boo!) and I've been every color in the book, but now I'm auburn in the fall/winter and strawberry blonde in the spring/summer. Red is the color I keep coming back to, especially as it's the one where I get the most compliments. Naturally, I’m golden blonde, but when I go back I feel like I’m all one color...one big butterscotch!

 
At Monday, May 16, 2011 , Blogger Katrina said...

atrina sai
to be honest, you look beautiful in all the hair colors even in purple! you have such a pretty face and i dont think any hair style or color will mess up your look. but my most fav look is the brunette. :)

 
At Friday, June 10, 2011 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you'll look awesome whatever haircolor you have, but I think red might be perfect on you. Not crazy red, but something soft. It would complement your fair skin and blue eyes :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home