This Page

has been moved to new address

MAC Prep + Prime BB Beauty Balm SPF 35

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Beauty Bite: MAC Prep + Prime BB Beauty Balm SPF 35

Monday 8 August 2011

MAC Prep + Prime BB Beauty Balm SPF 35

It's official. In the world of make up 2011 has become the summer of the BB cream. Whilst brands such as Garnier and Clinique launch their very own takes on Asia's biggest cosmetic sensation, make up giants MAC have approached the trend from a slightly different angle by producing a single toned balm designed primarily for use as a primer. I, being the complete foundation fanatic I am, was simply desperate to learn more...


Sold as part of the ever growing Prep + Prime range, BB Beauty Balm promises to work on an array on complexions, instantly re-texturizing the skin whilst offering a high level of built in sun protection. Unlike most BB creams it sells itself as simply a foundation base, something to help even out skin tone before fuller, thicker coverage is later applied. In all honesty I wasn't particularly blown away with this product's primer skills - after all, at £21 it sits near the likes of Laura Mercier - yet as a light tint to instantly perk up my sleepy morning skin, I've been pretty impressed with the results.

MAC BB Beauty Balm swatched/ slightly sheered out

Creamy and smooth in texture, the balm dispenses fluidly from the finely tipped nozzle, providing around 1 to 2 layers of delicate coverage with a firm squeeze of the tube. When applied the colour is easy to sheer down, making it an accessible choice for those with fair to light medium toned skin. Over on Temptalia, Christine who is an NC30 needed to apply a tinted moisturiser over the top to darken the colour, it's best to bare this in mind if you are considering purchasing this as more of a facial tint than a primer. On me it's absolutely fine (so go ahead pale ladies) but I can imagine for a fair percentage of you this limited beige shade will automatically make this product a complete no go; which is utterly ridiculous when you consider just how big the MAC foundation range is

MAC Prep + Prime BB Beauty Balm applied to bare skin (no other make up applied except mascara/tinted lip balm)

The finish is divine. My skin looks smooth and radiant, whilst light blemishes and larger pores are softly diminished under a layer or two of product. Application with my fingers repeatedly gave the best results, allowing me to really work the balm into any areas I felt needed extra attention. Throughout the day the effect held up pretty well, yet believe me when I say the coverage provided is extremely sheer - if you want to hide red spots or dark patches then you'll need a lot more than a light dab of this stuff.


Extreme close up of product on skin

On a personal level I like this product. It leaves my skin both feeling and looking good, plus the added SPF 35 is hugely appreciated on a day to day basis. As the above picture shows a single application of this balm gently mutes down my freckles and gives a good indication of the level of coverage it can give in terms of blemishes and sun damage. If you have fair toned, relatively clear skin then this will work beautifully as a tint - but otherwise it'd be best to approach this as merely an illuminating primer. I'm disappointed at the one-shade-fits-all approach and for that reason alone I can imagine many of you struggling to fit this into your routine. If MAC expand the range then I'd definitely recommend you go for it, but for now, go find a shade that works for you. After all, make up should be made to fit us all.

MAC Prep + Prime BB Beauty Balm is available from MAC counters worldwide and maccosmetics.co.uk for £21

*this product was a free sample obtained by the Beauty Bite*

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 09, 2011 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It really suits your skin tone :)

 
At Thursday, August 11, 2011 , Blogger SilhouetteScreams said...

I have a tinted primer from Jemma Kidd and I like that it's tinted, because then I feel like I can get away with less foundation. So I would probably purchase this since it's tinted :)

Great review and it looks lovely on you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home